[XBoard-devel] Re: Internationalization question

From: Tim Mann
Subject: [XBoard-devel] Re: Internationalization question
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:41:24 -0800

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:00:08 -0500, "Carl Simard" <address@hidden> wrote:
> I Tim,
>
> I make a copy paste error with the version. I have the GNUChess for Windows
> version 4.14 ported to Windows by Conor McCarthy. Ported from GNU chess 4.0
> patchlevel 77 by Stuart Cracraft, Mike MCGann, Chua Kong Sian and John
> Stanback.

I see.  That's an old version that has no relationship to xboard or
WinBoard, and no one on address@hidden cares about it.  In fact,
no one at all is working on GNU Chess for Windows 4.xx anymore.

> For now I do not have translate any text in GNUCHESS.LAN so, no waste
> time...

OK.  Also, I don't know whether GNU Chess for Windows 4.xx uses
gnuchess.lan for its GUI elements (menus, etc.).

> If we need a functionnal Windows GNU Chess with French GUI menu and french
> game explanation, at the beginning of the next week.

I don't think you can do that in a week using WinBoard + GNU Chess,
because (as Alper just explained on the mailing list), the
internationalization support for WinBoard is not complete yet.  No one
seems to know the right way to internationalize the strings that are in
winboard.rc, and those make up a lot of the UI -- all the menu text and

> Is it the right place (xboard dev)

xboard-devel is the right place if you want to use xboard/WinBoard as
the GUI.

> and the right project (GNU Chess 5)

GNU Chess actually has very little to do with it.  xboard/WinBoard can
be a GUI for any of over 200 chess engines, of which GNU Chess is only
one.  Generally just about all the text comes from xboard/WinBoard, so
once those are internationalized, you'll be able to play against any of
the engines in local languages.

> to collaborate ? If yes,
> just explain me how a can do that. So I will do the job rapidly.

See Alper's message for how to get started.

--
Tim Mann  address@hidden  http://tim-mann.org/