[XBoard-devel] XBoard 5.0

From: h.g. muller
Subject: [XBoard-devel] XBoard 5.0
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 10:54:46 +0200

I tried to make a list of the features that would have to be ported to XBoard
before a Windows build of a platform-independent XBoard (= 5.0) could replace
WinBoard entirely, so that we could drop the latter. See below. I don't claim
the list is complete, but it should cover most issues. Please feel free to add.
When the list is complete, we should perhaps put it in the CVS as a separate
ToDo_5.0 file, after eaborating a bit on each point (determining importance and
magnitude of the ob, and perhaps a hint of how it could be done.)

H.G.

Features that have to be ported to XBoard 5.0 before we can abandon WinBoard:

* Winboard_x evaluation-graph window
* User-adjudication menu items (in "Action" menu).
* remembering settings in a .ini file (with menu items for this)
* font-based rendering of pieces
* background textures for board
* fix variant-dependent selection of built-in piece types
* fix edit-position popup to include the new piece types
* snappy and sticky windows (broken in WB too, since XP!)
* "Options -> Board..." menu for setting board and piece colors
* clock adjustment by user clicking on it
* browsing in file-selector dialog
* saving board display as bitmap diagram
* start-up dialog. (Can this be made into a menu popup that could be called at any time?)
* decent ICS-interaction window with context-dependent popup menu
* Winboard_x game-list improvements (allowing display of subselections)
* "Options -> Game List..." menu
* "Options -> ICS..." menu
* "Options -> Sounds..." menu
* "Options -> Fonts..." menu (?)