[XBoard-devel] xboard pixmaps from Eric De Mund

From: Tim Mann
Subject: [XBoard-devel] xboard pixmaps from Eric De Mund
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 19:38:35 -0700

Eric De Mund sent me the attached emails a while back.  I didn't do
anything about them at the time, and have just noticed them still
sitting in my mailbox.  I still haven't looked at the pixmaps and don't
know if they would be interesting given the changes being made to xboard
and WinBoard, but thought I should at least forward the mails to the
developer list now that there are folks actively working on
xboard/WinBoard.

--
Tim Mann  address@hidden  http://tim-mann.org/
--- Begin Message --- Subject: xboard/winboard pixmaps phase 1 is complete: 3120 chess sets, 43,680 bitmaps Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 20:46:11 -0700

Ok, phase 1 is complete. I've made 3120 chess sets and 43,680 chess bit-
maps available to the chess community for use with xboard, winboard, or
any other program that understands xpm bitmaps files. (Phase 2 will in-
clude chess sets and bitmaps that can be used as drop-in replacements
for the gif files that ChessBase HTML Publisher and other products ex-
pect for their displays.)

Phase 1 represents:

1.  13 color schemes, designed for easy long-term viewing during actual
    game play
    a.  aegean
    b.  beachcomber
    c.  coastal fog
    d.  cocoa
    e.  cote d'azur
    f.  martha's vineyard
    g.  miami
    h.  montauk
    i.  red marble
    j.  sandbar
    k.  sandstone
    l.  valley oak
    m.  wheat field

2.  6 fonts
    a.  alpha   (black pieces have white interior markings)
    b.  alphab  (black pieces have transparent interior regions)
    c.  merida
    d.  meridab
    e.  uscf
    f.  uscfb

3.  40 sizes
    a.  (29)    all sizes from 20x20 through 48x48
    b.  (4)     all multiples of 4 from 52x52 through 64x64
    c.  (4)     all multiples of 8 from 72x72 through 96x96
    d.  (3)     all multiples of 16 from 112x112 through 144x144

These are all available at:

    xboard/winboard pixmaps
    http://ixian.com/chess/xboard-winboard-pixmaps/

Regards,
Eric
--
"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use
as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to

Eric De Mund  | 650 Castro St, #120-210   | Jab: address@hidden/main
address@hidden | Mountain View, CA 94041   | Chess in the SF Bay Area:
ixian.com/ead | Y!M: ead0002; ICQ: 811788 | ixian.com/ba-chess.htm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: xboard/winboard pixmaps Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 01:40:20 -0700
Tim,

Feel free to copy or link to my xboard/winboard pixmaps, at:

    xboard/winboard pixmaps
    http://ixian.com/chess/xboard-winboard-pixmaps/

Though there are more modern programs, xboard(1) is still a workhorse
that I regularly use to view PGN chess games.

The problem is, I couldn't stand xboard's aliased chess pieces, or
most chessboard/chesspiece color schemes I've seen around. I cribbed
the Merida pieces from ChessX, and came up with these color schemes
after several months of twiddling colors, playing games on line with
them, and seeing what worked with my eyes and my monitor.

Maybe others, too, will find them pleasing or useful.

Cheers,
Eric