Re: [XBoard-devel] WinBoard installer

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] WinBoard installer
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 22:00:17 +0200

At 08:51 6-6-2009 -0600, Eric Mullins wrote:
The problem with the polyglot that doesn't require cygwin1.dll is it doesn't work in windows 95 because of the new affinity option. I tried to assist that project briefly, including changes for win95 support, but they disappeared in the very next version. I have my own custom version of it that does work in win95 though. Still, I'm not sure I consider it tested enough. I never really understood the point of getting rid of the cygwin1 dependency anyway. However, I do like the windows native version for one reason: in windows 9x and NT4, it doesn't open an extra command window for the forked polyglot process.

To return to thi issue: I did not succeed in testing the Polyglot from the Gold Pack with Win95. When I tried to write it on a floppy from my Win2K machine (where I brought it with a memory stick), the floppy invriable becomes unreadable both on my Win95 laptop and the Win2k machine, and is even unformattable on the Win2k machine after that. Wen I reboot the Win2k machine under Win98, the Polyglot seems to work, though. But that probably doen't prove anything, as I suppose the problem you mension is specific to Win95 only.

I would be very interested to have your patches to make Polyglot work under Win95. Although in case a choice has to be made, I would definitely prefer including a Polyglot that can run without cygwin1.dll over one that would work on Win95, it would be good to have both.

H.G.