Re: [XBoard-devel] 4.4.1

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] 4.4.1
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 13:59:53 +0200

I agree but just putting it into the space reserved for the PV field would be confusing.
In analysis mode the move the engine is thinking about is shown
in the header of the engine output window and not as part of the thinking output.

Well, I had a look at how analysis mode works in XBoard, and it seemed to me that the Engine-Output window provides al the information the Analysis window provides, and in a superior way. It could even be made smaller than the Analysis window without
losing any info.

I am not sure which confusion you are worried about. We could define a new standard for the thinking-output format that provides backward compatibility by putting extra info in the PV field. A GUI that recognizes this extra info would strip it out of the thinking output before displaying the latter. Like having some extra stuff at the beginning of the PV field
in braces or brackets., say [1/20 a2a3].

An alternative would be to use a kludge similar to the UCI infoline kludge we use in Polyglot: define a special combination of node count and time unlikely to occur in true thinking output,
and use those for the extra info.

It would have been better if "Analysis mode" had not exited s a separate game mode at all; logically it is equivalent to edit-game mode with ponder on. So it should really be treated as a ponder mode, rather than a game mode. Which means that everything that the same things should be allowed and the same thinking output should be sent in either mode.
But this periodic-updates stuff is best deprecated...

Oh well. I will feel sorry to see the analysis window go.