Re: [XBoard-devel] readline support/ICS input box

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] readline support/ICS input box
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 00:18:40 +0100

We would have to ask Arun. I don't know anything about ReadLine.
I was not very happy with the implementation as it was, however.
Apart from the OS X problems in building XBoard, in this version
the ReadLine also seems active when you are not in ICS mode
(despite the fact that the X-term is not used there), and very often
completely messes up the operation of the X-term once you close
XBoard.Depending on how you close it, you can stay in a mode
where echo is switched off, line editing is no longer possible, etc.

The difficulty of keeping many windows in the foreground is a
consequence of a compler switch TOPLEVEL, which IMO has
the wrong default value. (But XBoard users requested it that way).
With the switch off all the auxiliary windows (like the ICS Input Box)
would be dialogs belonging to XBoard: they would not appear as
icons on the task bar, and they would be raised to foreground
all at the same time with the main window. ust as WinBoard
does.