Re: [XBoard-devel] Load Next / Prev Position menu

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Load Next / Prev Position menu
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 23:02:27 +0100

can we just have one menu item (load file) and one game list window that
works for both positions and games? That is if you load a position file
it shows you all the positions, if you load a game, it shows you all the
games... and then you can click through them.

I guess the problem would be that FENs have no tags. In the game list
you see the seected tags (like player names) displayed on the line for that
game, so it can serve as basis toselect it. But what would you display in the
corresponding "Position List"? The FEN itself might even fit, but it is not
a big help in deciding which one you would like to see. You don't want the
user to decode the FEN by eye. The qickest way to decide which position
you want is to first see it. But then you have already loaded it, and you have
seen all there is. That is completely different for a game: recognizing a game
would take forever, especially since in the beginning they all look alike...
So there you recognize by the tags, and having them represented in the
gamelist in a controlled format is a big help.