Re: [XBoard-devel] xboard does not display with installed fonts

From: h . g . muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] xboard does not display with installed fonts
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 17:28:47 +0200

First I should stress that I know almost nothing about Linux and X-fonts.
However, my experience with people reporting font problems is that they
almost always have to be (and can be) solved outside of XBoard. Usually it
means that the font, although installed, is not present in the X font
cache or something like that.

It is extra strange that the font sets (used when you enable NLS) do not
work, as I understood that in the end it should fall back on the last one
from the list, which consists entirely out of wild cards (*), and should
match anything. So it really seems like you have no fonts at all the
X-server is aware of.

You could try to build the GTK version (./configure --with-gtk). That does
not need any X-fonts.