Re: [XBoard-devel] evaluation graph is empty

From: H.G. Muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] evaluation graph is empty
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 00:18:05 +0100

kamaraju kusumanchi schreef op 1/10/2015 om 7:19 PM:
The evaluation graph window is empty when I do

$ xboard -fcp crafty -lgf elfat_7_vs_KamarajuKusumanchi_2015_01_10.pgn

I see that the blue vertical line is moving right on each move but no
vertical bars are displayed.
Then the PGN game probably did not contain any score information. During game load
the engine is not active; XBoard just displays the game as loaded.

However, if I do

$ xboard -fcp crafty -initialMode Analysis -lgf
elfat_7_vs_KamarajuKusumanchi_2015_01_10.pgn

and select Mode -> Analyze Game in the xboard window, I see vertical
bars in the evaluation graph window. What is the correct way to start
xboard, so the game is analyzed as soon as I start it?
There is no need to specify an initial mode; you can load the game, move to the start posiiton of it, (<< button), and then select Analyze Game. In Analyze Game mode it does run the engine, to annotate the game with its output during the auto-stepping, and because the game then will have scores in it, you will see them in the Eval Graph.

I am using Debian Jessie and have the following package installed.
address@hidden:~/chess$ dpkg -l \*xboard\* | grep ^ii
ii  xboard         4.8.0-2      amd64        X Window System Chess Board

thanks
raju