Re: [XBoard-devel] Logging messages to and from server

From: H.G. Muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Logging messages to and from server
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 11:26:45 +0100

Svetlana Tkachenko schreef op 1/12/2015 om 9:29 AM:
I'm using xboard with a chess server. In the console I send and receive messages from and
to it. How do I log them to file? "xboard -ics -icshost freechess.org | tee
myfile.log" works, but it does not log anything I type (stdin), and the server does
not echo some of them back.

There is no explicit logging function in XBoard. The console is a terminal window, which usually has its own logging possibilities. You can also just copy-paste it from the screen into a text editor.

The new ICS/Chat window of the XBoard GTK build also allows you to copy-paste text from it.

Usually what appears on the console is mostly garbage. There must be a reason why no one ever asked for a logging facility in all these years; it would be rather trivial to make one.