Re: [XBoard-devel] xboard: No value provided for argument -firstChessPro

From: h . g . muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] xboard: No value provided for argument -firstChessProgram
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2015 11:32:34 +0100

This error message would be printed when during parsing of options it runs
into the end of the line or file when it expects a value. And it then
litterally prints the option for which it expected the value.

>From this you can see that it did not object to your command line, because
your command line contains only '-fcp', and not '-firstChessProgram'. That
these mean the same is entirely coincidental; I expect you would get the
same error message when you would do "xboard -ncp". The message must refer
to something it reads from a settings file. The settings files are read
before the arguments on the command line is parsed.

As '-firstChessProgram' is a volatile option XBoard would never save it in
the user settings file. So it must be in the master settings file,
/etc/xboard.conf (or in some distros /etc/xboard/xboard.conf, or when you
installed from source perhaps /usr/local/etc/xboard.conf). That file must
somehow contain an syntactically incorrect -firstChessProgram option. But
that is not the case in the version we distribute.