Re: [XBoard-devel] new developer release out

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] new developer release out
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 15:27:07 -0700

Hi

> It seems that pangocairo.h is not available under Xaw. All other errors
> follow from that, and they are all in the routine DrawUnicode, which is
> used to draw text on piece images on the board (intended for inscribing
> kanji on blank Shogi tiles). Rendering non-X-fonts on the board never
> seemed to cause a problem for the board cooordinates, so this comes as a
> surprise.
>
> It is weird that I did not get this problem before.[...]

Could be because of the recent change in configure.ax? Before we always
had GTK on, even if Xaw was chosen, so perhaps some more variables were
set. Would have to look at it more closely, so this is just a guess.

If we are not using cairo in the X version, we probably should move it
the cairo call to gtk.

>[...]
> Not installing is ill adviced anyway. If you had no XBoard before, you
> won't have any pieces. In 4.9.0 new piece types have been added, so even
> if you had 4.8.0 installed before, you will still get the Error popup each
> time you start that default pieces are missing, and that you should define
> a pieceImageDirectory.

Guess the etc stuff is not a problem... I just started xboard (just to
see if it runs from the tar-ball) and got the pieceImageDirectory
warning. I was just wondering, if it is worthwhile to add something, so
that xboard knows if we run a non-installed version and perhaps looks
for missing items in the source directory... assuming it was started
from the source directory. That way you might be able to run a
test-version without installing it, which could be nice for developing?

I think at gnu will have to manually install or at least OK my new gpg
for upload, so it might take a bit until the tar-ball shows up.

Arun