Re: New maintainer, plans for the future of XBoard

From: Tim Mann
Subject: Re: New maintainer, plans for the future of XBoard
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 13:14:53 -0800

I have pretty similar thoughts to HG.

Removing the Xaw code from the codebase would be a good cleanup now that the GTK port has caught up and it's now Xaw that is lagging behind in feature support.

I'm not sure either what merging xboard and winboard back together would be. Requiring GTK on Windows does sound problematic, but I haven't really tried it myself. I basically don't use or program for Windows at all anymore.

I am not a C++ fan and have trouble imagining what problems moving to C++ would solve. I can program in C++ but have not kept up with developments there and don't know what good C++ style is thought to look like today. I'm not dead set against C++, but I would rather continue to enable HG to contribute since he's done so much great work.