xenomai-main

Re: [Xenomai-main] Problems compiling vxWorks testsuite

From: Gilles Chanteperdrix
Subject: Re: [Xenomai-main] Problems compiling vxWorks testsuite
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 00:49:36 +0100

Roderik Wildenburg wrote:
 > I have tried to compile the vxWorks testsuite
 > (emulators/vxworks/testsuite/rtai-x86), but "make" complained that notheing
 > is to be done.
 > Can anybody help me how to compile a vxWorks file or where I can find the
 > compiled testsuite.

I answered your questions this morning, but for some reason my post
did not reach the xenomai mailing-list. I also realize that my answer
was a bit short, if not cryptic to say the least. So, here goes a
longer answer.

The test suites were not planned to be compiled for Xenomai over
RTAI. You will only be able to compile them if you compiled Xenomai for
the mvm or posix RT layer.

 > I tried :
 >
 > gcc -g -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -O2 -Wall -I..../xenomai-1.1.1/binaries/include
 >
 > but this produced a lot of errors like this :
 > /usr/include/linux/version.h:2:2: #error
 > "======================================
 > /usr/include/linux/version.h:3:2: #error "You should not include
 > /usr/include/
 >
 > what am I doing wrong ?

The problem you have here is distinct from the first one. Gcc should
find the version.h of the sources of your RTAI patched kernel, not
"/usr/include/linux/version.h". Basically, an application compiled for
Xenomai over RTAI is an RTAI application, gcc hence need to search
header files in the RTAI include directory and the patched kernel
include directory in addition to the Xenomai include directory. If you
want a full example of the flags you need to pass to the compiler, have
a look at the file emulators/psos+/examples/rules.mk.

If it has not already been done, I also suggest you read carefully the
file README.BUILD (more precisely sections 1.2 and 3.2).

Once overcome these little difficulties, you should be able to compile
and run a vxworks application with Xenomai, if:
- you replace the vxworks specific includes by #include "wind4xeno.h" ;
- you replace calls to exit with calls to taskExit
- you define INIT_MODULE and CLEANUP_MODULE to respectively spawn your
  main thread and wait for its termination ;
- your application uses the functions listed in
  "emulators/vxworks/doc/wind4xeno.txt".

Please do not hesitate to ask other questions or keep us informed with
your progress.

--

                                            Gilles Chanteperdrix.