xforms-development

Re: [XForms] Problem with fdesign (fdesigns menu bar)

From: Clive Stubbings
Subject: Re: [XForms] Problem with fdesign (fdesigns menu bar)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 22:53:43 +0100 (BST)

Michal,

Glad it has solved your problem.

I have followed 'popup.c' file usage pattern:

   if ( popup->title )
       XStoreName( flx->display, popup->win, popup->title );

and modified 'xpopup.c' accordingly:

-       XStoreName( flx->display, m->win, m->title );
+       if ( m->title )
+         XStoreName( flx->display, m->win, m->title );

and it seems to have fixed the problem.

That will stop the crash but be aware it may be a change in behavior.

In the old (and new fixed) X libraries, passing a NULL pointer would call XChangeProperty for XA_WM_NAME to replace any current value with a NULL argument. Your change has removed that call (mine replaced the NULL with an empty string).

Your change may, or may not, be better. One would need to understand both the context (ie intent) and how the library handles NULL property values.

Interestingly, on MX-21 Linux (based on Debian 11), fdesign built on
Git code works fine w/o any modifications. The system has xserver-xorg
version 1.20.13-1~mx21ahs+1 (compared to 1.20.13-1ubuntu1~20.04.2 in
Ubuntu 20.04 and 1.20.11-2 in Rocky Linux 8.5)

Useful. The fix in X11 has been available upstream for just short of a year.

Cheers
Clive

regards,
Michal