[Xouvert-general] Re: graphical_server_theory

From: Jonathan Walther
Subject: [Xouvert-general] Re: graphical_server_theory
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 20:07:46 -0700

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 11:41:10PM -0300, kalicrates wrote:
I'm sorry if I'm disturbing you, but for a long time I have tried to
find the following information:

I really need to understand the structure of a graphical server, in a
manner that permits to me develop one independent of a particular
hardware. I saw the fork http://www.xouvert.org/, and I would like to
contribute, but right now this is impossible because I don't find any
book, tutorial, etc...about the THEORY of a graphical server.
May you help me ?

Theory is simple: there is video hardware.  Only the X accesses it.
Applications connect to X server using various network protocols, and use
the X protocol to command the X server what to do to the video hardware.

To learn programming X, and how the X protocol works, buy the books
published by O'Reilly.  If you can find them, the books on X programming
by Eric Foster Johnson are the very best I can recommend for a beginner
to X programming.  His quality of writing, with lots of examples to copy,
is really good.

Jonathan

--

It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

                    Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   address@hidden
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2