[xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] ANNOUNCEMENT: roadmap for Xouverts first

From: William Lahti
Subject: [xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] ANNOUNCEMENT: roadmap for Xouverts first release
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 02:03:17 -0400

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 1:06 pm, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> We have been telling people we will be doing our first release on
> October 1st.  Now we can tell you what we will be releasing.
>
> Although eventually we would like to do a complete Xouvert branded X11
> distribution, our first focus is on the server.
>
> In the month ahead, instead of slurping all the XFree86 sources into our
> repository and going from there, we will be extracting the X server from
> the XFree86 CVS and making it compile standalone.  Then we will add in
> some currently available third party drivers and bug fixes, and that
> will be our first release.
>
> Beginning immediately after October 1st, we will work on an automation
> infrastructure, which will let us provide up-to-the-minute binary rpm's,
> tgz's, and debian packages in addition to the usual source code
> tarballs.  We will continue to add bugfixes and new drivers and make
> them available immediately.
>
> The Xouvert server will be fully compatible with XFree86, and in fact
> will co-exist with it.  You will need to modify only two lines in your
> /etc directory to start the Xouvert server instead of the XFree86
> server; all the rest of the XFree86 distribution will be used by
> Xouvert.
>
> As Mike Gancarz said in The Unix Philosophy, "Now THAT's Leverage!"
>
> Jonathan

Alright sounds good. However, one shouldnt need to edit anything in /etc. We
should isntall the server to /usr/X11R6/bin/Xouvert, and if the user wants to
use it, they should symlink it to /usr/X11R6/bin/X.

--
--------------------------------
$ printinfo

Four be the things I'd been better without:
Love, curiosity, freckles, and doubt.

Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.

Three be the things I shall have till I die:
Laughter and hope and a sock in the eye.
                -- Dorothy Parker, "Inventory" [or "Not so Deep as a Well"?]
$ uptime
 02:02:19  up 6 days,  8:34,  5 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.26, 0.22