Re: [xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] Server Side Widgets

From: >> G-LiTe /
Subject: Re: [xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] Server Side Widgets
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:56:40 +0200

Cameron wrote:

Would it be possible to allow a widget set to be able to run on the server side as well as able to run client side if the widget set is unavailable on the server?

-Cameron
Applications still need libgtk+ (as an example), because they're linked against it. You can ofcourse make a wrapper library to send it to the X server which should then run the extension that handles widgets. And when that is done, how are you going to seperate server side and client side toolkits? You could write a seperate "private" library, which contains the client side stuff, and libgtk+ just being a wrapper to either of the methods. But you can't leave the client side stuff in libgtk+ itself: it's a waste of memory.

It still means there's alot of work to be done before we get there, and I mean ALOT. It _may_ be possible to do it like DRI, which also _may_ require less work, but it'll only work on the local machine anyways and so that is basically not an option.

I doubt it'll be usefull in the end.
--
<address@hidden>