Re: [xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] Network transparentcy and modules

From: weigelt
Subject: Re: [xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] Network transparentcy and modules
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:00:49 +0200

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 12:48:01PM +0200, >> G-LiTe / wrote:

<snip>
> - Where are we getting the addresses from? The gnome utility would have
> to know what X servers are running unless you want users to type in the
> address.
Where's the problem ? If i go from A to B, then I really should
remember A's name. The rest should be smalltalk between the Xservers.
There also could be an global server knowing those X connections.

For headless machines we could also set up an _minimal_ Xserver, only
supporting this redirection protocol and some dummy functions.

> - Would we allow the application itself to control (part) of this? Some
> Xlib functions for it?. The way I explained it above it's handled fully
> in Xlib.
Not xlib itself, but an additional library (i.e. xwarp). This also belongs
in an different package. If an application also loads xwarp, it docks
somewhere into xlib (this interface may _never ever_ be used by an client!)
and talks to it.

<snip>
> - How are we going to redraw the contents on the other X server? Is it
> possible to just send an expose event for the entire window? Or would we
> have to resend the current state of the window? There's two ways to do
> the latter, entirely on Xlib's side or the X server extension contacts
> the other server (in which case the other server needs an extension for
> it too) and sends a bitmap over.
Multiple variants can be useful. It should be handshaked between all parties.
IIRC its possible for the Xserver to request redraw from the application
(i can remember some window managers triggering it).

Which protocol really to be used should be handshaked completely
automatically. If we're on the same machine, we'll use shared memory
and do an minimal interception between client->proxy->server
(notice: the proxy _may_ be in the client process)

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux ITS
 Webhosting ab 5 EUR/Monat.          UUCP, rawIP und vieles mehr.

 fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     address@hidden
 cellphone: +49 174 7066481
 Diese Mail wurde mit UUCP versandt.      http://www.metux.de/uucp/