[xougen] building just the drivers you need (was: Regarding server side

From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
Subject: [xougen] building just the drivers you need (was: Regarding server side widgets)
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:46:12 -0500

On 08/29 09:53 , Tyler Hall wrote:
> Keeping the tree as it stands right now offers no such modularity. We
> need to reorganize the source to allow such modularity, not just to make
> life easier for binary packers, but for those developers who wish to
> contribute to just one module.

when I first compiled X, I was shocked and amazed that one needed to compile
*every* driver (and all the documentation!), in order to get just the one
you wanted. having compiled Linux kernels for years, I was used to being
able to just use a configuration tool to pick the drivers I wanted, and not
have to worry about the rest.

I think getting away from Imake will be a marvelously good step in the right
direction towards getting this done.

As a point of ignorant curiosity, how much of the design of Linux's
kernel-build configuration tool can we take for XFree86? (both legally and
technically).
what about the kbuild and CML2 designs that were proposed for the linux 2.4
kernel (but abandoned in favor of less controversial/more evolutionary
changes?

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator