Re: [xougen] Building from source [was: Regarding server side widgets]

From: Mark C. Ballew
Subject: Re: [xougen] Building from source [was: Regarding server side widgets]
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 05:10:52 +0000

On Sun, 2003-08-31 at 01:37, Arwed von Merkatz wrote:

> > I absolutely agree that what should be compiled should only be what is
> > needed, and/or only what is needed should be loaded.  Similar to the
> > Linux method of configuration for compilation and for the modules too.
> > But what I have read about imake vs. the GNU Autotools is that imake is
> > not very flexible in this regard.  Or am I dead wrong?  Perhaps we need
> > to add another level/layer of abstraction on top of imake?  I also read
> > that there where some other problems with imake because it used the
> > c-pre-processor, what has/have your experiences been?
>
> It is already possible to configure the xfree build process to only
> compile and install stuff you want/need. It can all be configure in the
> host.def, which drivers to compile, which apps, which libs, ...
>
> All that is needed is imho a nice dialog based config tool to do this.

I think the idea of having a solid installer for Xouvert is an excellent
idea. What do people think about a linux kernel-like configuration
process? Much like makeconfig or even Freebsd's ncurses menus for
checking what you want to install/build?

As for imake vs. autoconf, I don't see what the big push is to move over
to automake, XFree86 compiles on a bizillion different archs and OSes,
why mess that up? autoconf/make can be quite hellish.

What do people think about a simple (optional) ncurses frontend for
configuring Xouvert for compilation, creating the imake file that is
appropriate from this, and the go on to compiling?

Leaving the imake stuff there will allow vendors (like Freebsd, Debian,
Gentoo) to compile from their port-like trees easily.

Mark
--
Mark C. Ballew                          address@hidden
http://sublinear.net                    http://markballew.com