[xougen] con of server side widgets

From: William Lahti
Subject: [xougen] con of server side widgets
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 12:08:20 -0400

How would we handle animated widgets on the server side?

For one process that also handles all X11 operations to sit and draw new
pixmaps on _every_ widget on the screen is wasteful, and could prove
difficult to implement... again, I don't think it would be bad if there were
a dedicated widget server that produced a pixmap of a widget based on a list
of properties. Then the client would enable backingstore on the widget and
draw it. Then the server takes care of redrawing and the widget takes care of
theming and whatever. Simple enough? We could begin doing this now, without
any changes to the X server and get a very similiar result to adding a bunch
of new code to it. The widget server could be distributed with Xouvert. I
will volunteer, but is any one else interested? Im guessing you'll need to
know C and socket programming (as well as some X stuff for using shared
pixmaps if available).

Truly, I don't see why this has to be inside the X server except for enforcing
policy, which is something that X does not do.

--
William Lahti, aka xfury
$ /usr/games/fortune