Re: [xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] ANNOUNCEMENT: roadmap for Xouverts fi

From: William Lahti
Subject: Re: [xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] ANNOUNCEMENT: roadmap for Xouverts first release
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 12:16:31 -0400

On Saturday 23 August 2003 6:12 pm, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 02:03:17AM -0400, William Lahti wrote:
> >> The Xouvert server will be fully compatible with XFree86, and in fact
> >> will co-exist with it.  You will need to modify only two lines in your
> >> /etc directory to start the Xouvert server instead of the XFree86
> >> server; all the rest of the XFree86 distribution will be used by
> >> Xouvert.
> >
> >Alright sounds good. However, one shouldnt need to edit anything in /etc.
> > We should isntall the server to /usr/X11R6/bin/Xouvert, and if the user
> > wants to use it, they should symlink it to /usr/X11R6/bin/X.
>
> Ok, that sounds good.  Do all modern distros work this way, including
> Redhat?  I know that is how it works in Debian.

I'm not sure as to the behavior of [GKX]DM but they *should* start
/usr/X11R6/bin/X. So if the distro uses a display manager (um what
X-including distro doesnt) then it *should* work fine.

--
William Lahti, aka xfury

$ /usr/games/fortune
QOTD:
        "If I could walk that way, I wouldn't need the cologne, now would I?"
$ uptime
 12:10:10  up 1 day, 17:03,  4 users,  load average: 0.27, 0.32, 0.41