Re: [xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] Network transparentcy and modules

From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
Subject: Re: [xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] Network transparentcy and modules
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:14:56 -0500

On 08/27 01:39 , Tyler Hall wrote:
> That also could tie in with another request mentioned earlier: allow
> multiple X users simultaneously on the same machine (ala winXP).

that's already possible. you just need to run multiple X servers.
it doesn't work well with all drivers (my G450 for instance); but that's an
implementation issue, not a real limitation.

> This could either be from a dedicated "warp server" daemon running on
> machine Z, that my "grab window" utility could connect to,

there's an idea. some sort of X proxy that would let you do funkier things
than base X11 would (like connecting to an existing running window and
moving it; or letting you install a local client which caches widgets and
the like).

needless to say, that starts to sound like a slightly extended version of
VNC...

any reason why VNC couldn't be extended to just handle one window at a time,
rather than a whole desktop? this would let you transparently disconnect and
reconnect to applications, in a fairly straightforward fashion. ('man
screen' for an example of something that uses similar semantics).

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator
Real-Time Enterprises