Re: [xougen] Regarding server side widgets

From: Eric Anholt
Subject: Re: [xougen] Regarding server side widgets
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 23:25:58 -0700

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 16:08, address@hidden wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:14:39AM +0200, >> G-LiTe / wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > The problem with DRI is that it _ONLY_ works on the local machine, it
> > isn't just and restriction, it just can't work if the client isn't on
> > the same machine.
> Yes. But other similar interfaces/protocols could be possible, which
> can do it (of course much slower). It should be the job of the client
> library to negotiate with the server, which protocol is the best.
>
> If they agree to be on the same host, then they can use DRI and perhaps
> the server will fixup some permissions to let the client in. Sometimes
> it may be not wanted that is allowed (i.e. from another local user),
> so we define it in an ACL (does xauth allow such things ?)

The current state is that the DRI and its related code doesn't
accelerate indirect rendering.  However, there has been quite a bit of
talk about how to hardware accelerate indirect (remote, as people have
been calling it here) rendering.  one proposal is that the libGLcore.a
would be unified to the same interface as the existing client 3d
drivers.  The X Server would then load a client 3d driver instead of the
software libGLcore.a to render what comes in through GLX.  It doesn't
deal with the multihead issues, which always come up in these
discussions, but people have been throwing ideas around on how to do
that, too.

Basically, if you're interested in 3d, go to the DRI project or Mesa and
work on things there.  Xouvert, like the XFree86 project currently, is
not the place.  And protocols are most certainly not the issue here in
any way.

--
Eric Anholt                                address@hidden
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         address@hidden