Re: [xougen] building just the drivers you need (was: Regarding server s

From: weigelt
Subject: Re: [xougen] building just the drivers you need (was: Regarding server side widgets)
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 12:21:01 +0200

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 09:46:12PM -0500, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

<snip>
> I think getting away from Imake will be a marvelously good step in the right
> direction towards getting this done.
Yes. At this point, we could introduce an new build system, which does not
work on rules anylonger, but on pure structure descriptions.

So we define _what_ parts the software consists of - not how it should
be generated. With this it simply will not matter for the developer,
what compiler is used, etc.

(He|she) now simply says: there's an library module with some name, which
imports some other libs end exports some functionality (i.e in form of .h
and .so files), and there are some binary targets which import some libs,

Once we have such an build system with an very strict modelling, we
later can do versioning, quality management, etc quite easily.
Automated systems, IDEs, etc can work with this very easily -
with automake-stuff this is not possible this way.

Distros then would only be excerpts of the whole source tree with
specific parameters (i.e. install locations) an in specific translations
(i.e. binary/i686-linux or binary/i486-bsd)

<snip>
> As a point of ignorant curiosity, how much of the design of Linux's
> kernel-build configuration tool can we take for XFree86? (both legally and
> technically).
No, I dont think it goes forward enough for userland stuff.
Lets find an very abstract scheme for describing (userland) software
and code an build tool for it.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux ITS
 Webhosting ab 5 EUR/Monat.          UUCP, rawIP und vieles mehr.

 fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     address@hidden
 cellphone: +49 174 7066481
 Diese Mail wurde mit UUCP versandt.      http://www.metux.de/uucp/