Re: [xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] Network transparentcy and modules

From: Alan Cox
Subject: Re: [xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] Network transparentcy and modules
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 12:12:28 +0100

On Mer, 2003-08-27 at 19:52, address@hidden wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 01:39:06AM -0500, Tyler Hall wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > That also could tie in with another request mentioned earlier: allow
> > multiple X users simultaneously on the same machine (ala winXP).
> This would also nice to have: an X server which can detach from the
> console and then go into sleep (freeing all resources not really needed)

X already does this - when you hit ctrl-alt-f1/2/... etc

> > The cross connections of "where can I move this window to" now could
> > involve
> > moving from User1 @ MachineA to User2 @ MachineB, or any other such combo.
> The display IDs must be different. This also must be told to the application
> on the other side.
>
> btw: is there any protocol which allows an client to check if an display
> is really the one it wants ?

Jim Gettys and I believe Owen did work on gtk to handle display hopping
but it's not complete (volunteers ? 8)). Its a client side problem
mostly.

> btw: why not implementing some MPEG and audio support in the Xserver ?

XFree86 has this already (Xv, Xvmc). For the synchronization side of all
this you need a better audio layer than esd and Xsync which needs some
kernel bits.

> Perhaps we should design an completely new graphics interface framework,
> where the question of display hardware,location,protocol is completely
> hidden behind (a little bit in the spirit of SDL). This interface could

XFree86 already does this internally too. Maybe you should read the code
some day ?