Re: [xougen] Regarding server side widgets

From: Jonathan Walther
Subject: Re: [xougen] Regarding server side widgets
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 02:20:44 -0700

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 05:23:46PM -0700, David Ross wrote:
I absolutely agree that what should be compiled should only be what is
needed, and/or only what is needed should be loaded.  Similar to the
Linux method of configuration for compilation and for the modules too.
But what I have read about imake vs. the GNU Autotools is that imake is
not very flexible in this regard.  Or am I dead wrong?  Perhaps we need
to add another level/layer of abstraction on top of imake?  I also read
that there where some other problems with imake because it used the
c-pre-processor, what has/have your experiences been?

David, how is the FAQ coming?  Do you want me to do another upload?

Linux style configuration for Xouvert would be very cool, but we are
going to do any transition of the build system slowly and carefully, so
that it never stops working.  Your question is a good one; unless
someone can tell us the problems of imake, why should we move away from
it when we have priorities like making our first release 4 weeks from
now? :-)

Jonathan

--

It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

                    Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   address@hidden
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2