Re: [xougen] Regarding server side widgets

From: Craig Ringer
Subject: Re: [xougen] Regarding server side widgets
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 00:17:58 +0800

If I understood it right, 3D support is currently only supported local
(seems like somehow bypassing the Xserver ?). This should also work
remotely. Also I'd like to see an mpeg streaming support directly in the Xserver, since many modern cards have hardware acceleration for that.

I'm sure that OpenGL 3D is supported over the network. You can't use DGA, shared memory, etc so it'd be fairly slow, but it works fine. I know SGI does it with their X implementation.

I've expressed interest previously in built-in VNC support for the X server... but for the X server to provide a VNC server (note overloaded meaning of server) that can be used to view the X server's frame buffer remotely.

This will be an multiprotocol server, you know that ?

Not really - it can all be done with X11. All I'm saying is that a mechanism to provide read access and update notification on the server frame buffer to other processes would be useful. Actual client code for, say, a VNC server could be done independently of the X server.

The XDamage ext, as mentioned by "G-Lite", appears to do the trick perfectly - so there's no point talking about that any more.

ACK. The whole distribution should be splitted into smaller packages.
So we i.e. have some Xcommon, Xserver-framework, Xserver-card1, Xserver-card2, ..., Xserver-mouse, ...

I don't know about that - not enough knowledge of the guts of X. I can, however, agree with those that think the drivers need to be available separately from the X server. THIS IS IMPORTANT - it's IMHO it's silly for people to have to upgrade the window system to get a new graphics driver.

Anyway, I'll go back to quietly lurking, and see how the Xouvert folks go in getting the X server separated out of the rest of X CVS. I've got to go and incompitently bash my head against an annoying mozilla bug now, anyway...

Craig Ringer