[xougen] Arch specific optimizations [XAA]

From: emmanuel ALLAUD
Subject: [xougen] Arch specific optimizations [XAA]
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 20:19:22 +0200 (CEST)

    Hi all,
I've read on this list (was RENDER extension thread)
that part of XFree were actually much slower than
imlib2 IIRC. The problems boiled down to the fact that
imlib2 uses MMX or other x586 specific asm
instructions which allowes to be like 3 times faster
(this is not an average, I don't think there is a
global benchmark).
My question is is that feasible (and desirable) to
borrow some of this code (perhaps also from others
good image manipualtion libs) and use it in XFree.
I know this will be more troubles for portability, but
if the functions to be arch-specific are well chosen
(that's the hard part) ie only a few small functions
with well determined purpose, this would give us good
optimization without much hassle for the portability
(the fallback being the old function if the arch has
no specific version of the opt. function).
Bye
Manu