Re: [xougen] Files needed for X-Server.

From: Alan Cox
Subject: Re: [xougen] Files needed for X-Server.
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 13:40:27 +0100

On Mer, 2003-09-03 at 21:04, suman wrote:
> (I'm a novice to X,so..) but cant this be done implementing a plugin
> (kind of) architecture for extentions and libraries.

XFree86 since 4.0, code donated by MetroLink who have been doing it for
years earlier.

> lot easier than what it is now?Since the entire code is in user space it
> would make a lot of sense using OO methods.

OO methods != C++, in fact C++ is a long way from being an OO language.
Now there is an OO implementation of an X server - in java - look up
weirdX on sourceforge and also "weirdmind" which is a java applet doing
ssh and X

> Also how about using XML for XProtocol we can use a light weight XML
> parser in c which is fast and above all which can be shared with other

XML is an interchange and storage format not an RPC format. The fact you
can use it for the latter doesn't make it any more sensible than
commuting to work in tank. The X protocol itself is already pretty close
to infintely extensible with X extensions and very good latency wise.
Its perhaps a pity the XML rpc type people didnt learn about X before
making some of their design choices 8)