[xougen] Re: Adding cruft to X

From: Johann Henriquez L.
Subject: [xougen] Re: Adding cruft to X
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 00:45:04 GMT

Hi,
here is my U$0,01 apport...
>NAS, Esound, arts..
>
>We have three already thank you
> > Agreed, that remote audio already exists, and works fine. However...there are disadvantages to using a system that doesn't ride within the X protocol. These include:
1) Prolifiration of APIs
2) Complexity of configuration (particularly firewalls, etc.)
3) Most importantly, strong synchronization. Unless the audio and display information travel through the same stream, and go through the same event handling API, there is no way to guarantee tight coupling(e.g. <20 milliseconds) between audio and display events.

3) MAS (www.mediaapplicationserver.net) does this.

As to 1), yes there are several network transparent sound servers, and
yes there are different apis. Main problem with that isn't the api
though, it's the fact that none of them are designed to be able to
synchronize audio/video over the network, with audio and video possibly
being displayed on different boxes. Afaik MAS is designed to do this.

and there is other problem...
you just can't use a KDE program in GNOME or a GNOME program in KDE if this programs use sound because one use ARTS and other use ESD... and what about non-KDE, non-GNOME applications? (e.g. AMSN, Mozilla) to use them i have to use: or artsdsp or esddsp (with both the result is very rare, and not in all apps this dsps work) or simply dissactive the deamon of sound. I think X, is a standard/procolol in the user graphic interface, this include: mouse, monitor, video card, keyboard, and sound. Having an X extension about sound, it will get transparent network, and finally an standard in desktop, because not only KDE or GNOME will be benefit, the alone apps will be benefit with this. (well, if everyone start to use it) but, there is another problem, let's pretend the X sound extension is adopted for all graphic-apps. What about non-X apps? (e.g. mpg321) this apps will have to do a plug-in to play, just like this apps have for esd and arts. i think the main reason to have an X sound extension is to become a standard for all apps that use sound, and the network transparency.

Regards
Johann Henriquez Lucero
mailto:address@hidden
ICQ #137470123   GNU/Linux user #279323