Re: [xougen] Adding cruft to X

From: William Lahti
Subject: Re: [xougen] Adding cruft to X
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 19:36:11 -0400

On Sunday 07 September 2003 10:04 am, Steve Nickolas wrote:
> Okay, I frequent the chat room, but I'm new here.  Nevertheless, I will
> state my strong opinions about adding sound and widget support to the X
> server.
>
> Adding these things to X goes entirely against the spirit of X.  If
> something is to be done that "embraces and extends" in such a way, I am
> not for it.
>
> Sure, there should be a standard widget set, but it shouldn't be part of
> X.  X's job is merely a portable network-based graphics-rendering engine
> at its core, simply a minimalist windowing system.  And I don't believe
> in cruft.

Oh, so just because I use Linux and like flashy eye candy and stuff like that
I need a new windowing system? X is not a minimalist windowing system, X
needs to be the correct blend of too much and not enough, because it must
continue to satisfy _all_ of it's users. Note: This is in general, I agree
with you about the sound and widget stuff.

> And, notice I said "graphics-rendering".  Sound is not its concern.
> Yes, it would help to have a standard sound system, but it has nothing
> to do with X.

Yes, besides MAS is designed to do exactly what sound in X would do.

> http://www.mediaapplicationserver.net/ would probably be more up your
> alley.
>
> I know I am not alone in this.

What would you think of having a seperate widget server alongside X? I truly
am against adding sound and widget support into the X server itself, but
providing standards like MAS and a widget server I think would be beneficial
overrall. Plus, it's the UNIX way (seperation of the entities)