Re: [xougen] merging

From: Patrick McFarland
Subject: Re: [xougen] merging
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:38:20 -0500

On 30-Oct-2003, Elver Loho wrote:
> My current pet peeve with X is that my USB tablet usually doesn't end up on
> the same /dev/input/event interface when I (re)plug it or reboot. Would love
> to even have a tool for changing the Device option of an InputDevice
> on-the-fly. Current solution is editing the XF86Config file manually each
> time there's a problem and restarting X.
>
> I wonder if it would be possible to just configure a new InputDevice in
> XF86Config and let the X driver for that device figure out which interface is
> the correct one. Maybe the X driver could look for the device in /proc/bus/
> usb? The latter sounds like the easiest solution by far.

On linux, the kernel takes care of this for me; however, I use a mouse.
I tell X to use /dev/input/mice which selects the first mouse, no matter what
it's device number is. It might be advantageous to have a similiar thing for
other device types, or to be able to use a tablet as a mouse inside the kernel
input system.

--
Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || address@hidden