Re: [xougen] merging

From: weigelt
Subject: Re: [xougen] merging
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 18:21:03 +0100

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 10:32:29AM +0100, Per Cederberg wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 06:36, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> > Perhaps you aren't familiar with the incredible power of LISP and LISP
> > macros.  Right now we are evaluating the "rep" LISP dialect for use in
> > this role.
>
> <offtopic>
> Yes, people usually write them off as academic, but Lisp
> and Prolog are really ideal for these type of small
> database-like power utilities. Only real issue is running
> the programs without installing too much software...
> </offtopic>

hmm. prolog sounds not so bad. it is an declarative language.
we could define some clause scheme (provided by some lib/preload) which
then is/are machine readable (for IDEs, etc). This one should be
mappable from/to descriptive languages like XML.

well, lets try some little examples:

We have an project "x11" which consists of several modules:

Xcommon:
    --> module type: c-library
    --> provides C-binding (include files, C-Interfaces, ...)
    --> may be compiled as .so or .a
    --> imports libc

Xlib:
    --> module type: c-library
    --> provides C-Binding
    --> imports Xcommon, libc

Xserver-framework
    --> module type: framework/group
    --> available target architectures: * (intel,sparc,...)
    --> available target platforms:     <all unix-like>

    Xserver-base
        --> module type: c-library
        --> provides C-binding (include files, C-Interfaces, ...)
        --> may be compiled as .so or .a
        --> imports Xcommon

    Xserver-loader
        --> module type: binary executable
        --> imports Xserver-base
        --> framework-imports: <all framework-modules from parent)

    Xserver-video-nvidia
        --> module type: framework-module
        --> may be compiled as .so, .a or directly into fw-client binary

Xkill
    --> module type: binary executable
    --> imports: Xlib, libc

How could we formulate this (purely descriptive) ?

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

 fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     address@hidden
 cellphone: +49 174 7066481
 Diese Mail wurde mit UUCP versandt.      http://www.metux.de/uucp/