Re: [xougen] PRE-ANNOUNCE: hackers release later today

From: Jonathan Walther
Subject: Re: [xougen] PRE-ANNOUNCE: hackers release later today
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 14:21:22 -0800

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 11:36:42AM +0200, Ely wrote:
since I couldn't get you on irc for few days I thought I would e-mail,
I was talking with the guys on #xwin, and it seems keithp has a lot of
extentions which he doesn't concider stable enough for public use, in
general he seems to just write them and wait till xfree would enter
them.

If you can get these extensions as patchsets that we can apply to a
stock 4.3.0, we will incorporate them immediately!

there is also his xserver which seems to be preety nice and fix a lot
of stracture issues in the XFree xserver (and again it's not production
nor does he plan to ever make it).

Again, if he's made specific tweaks to his server, it would be nice to
see them as patchsets, one patchset per specific tweak, and we'll
incorporate them!

I think the number of project now on fd.o is enough for pushing for a
full combined xfree release, (like Harold wanted to do).  and that
xouvert would benefit a lot more from making keith code into
production/release.  especially his various extention which preety much
add every feature on the xouvert todo list.  (yea alpha blending opengl
2d accel support SVG support infastracture for all the win animation
and so on)

Yes, Xouvert is a "developement" branch, so it is appropriate for us to
be testing out the bleeding edge stuff while others do stable releases.

Known issue would be that keith's xserver depend on the kernel for a
lot more info at the moment so porting it to various OSs might be
harder it works on linux and would preety much work on fbsd I guess
making port to windows based on directx won't be too hard, but for
various old OSs it might be very hard to port to.  but I think it's ok
it can be a bit more new OS dist while XFree would stay to help the
ones behind;)

Our only concern right now is to support the Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and
OpenBSD kernels.  If a commercial OS wants Xouvert support, they can
fund developers to maintain it. However, we will not be actively
removing support for any OS's that are currently supported.

Jonathan

--

It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

                    Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-951-4142
Email:   address@hidden
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org