Re: [xougen] Build System

From: Herbert Snorrason
Subject: Re: [xougen] Build System
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 15:25:28 +0000

Andri Yngvason wrote:
I like the idea of constructing our own build system.
As do I. The idea, however, as one *very* critical drawback: It means *WE* are going to have to maintain it, by ourselves. That's the very reason Imake is the incomprehensible monster it is today. And that's why Jam is placed one step above "own" in my list.

Jonathan had the idea a while ago to create a LISP build system
and mentioned it on the IRC channel.
Lisp is immensely powerful, very 'beautiful' (for some definition of the word), and incredibly rare. Installing a Common Lisp implementation for the sole purpose of building Xouvert is going to piss some people off. That's the only flaw I can see in the idea.

Maybe we could take advantage of the branching system in arch
and make a seperate branch around which we could construct a LISP build system.
Yeah. Doing the make system reconstruction would be most sensible in a seperate branch, whichever way we choose.

I by the way don't know LISP but I think it's pretty cool. :)
It is. Very. That's why Emacs uses it. (And *don't* reply to this point, thankyouverymuch. I don't want a holy war of any kind.)