acl-devel

Re: [Acl-devel] [ANNOUNCE] attr 2.4.47

From: Christoph Anton Mitterer
Subject: Re: [Acl-devel] [ANNOUNCE] attr 2.4.47
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 14:33:36 +0200

Hi Kamil.

On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 10:22 +0200, Kamil Dudka wrote:
> Sorry, I was not aware of your bug report at all.  It was supposed to
> fix https://bugzilla.redhat.com/660619 and I believe the bug is fixed.
No worries... :)

> > While now you use an exit status, it doesn't seem to be a reasonable
> > one.
> It is quite common to return a non-zero exit code if an error occur, isn't it?
Sure... I just wouldn't classify a missing xattr a classical error... it
personally consider it more like a "Are you living on the northern
hemisphere? Yes/No" Q&A.... neither of the two answers would be an
error.
An error would be the "answer" "sorry I don't understand you and
therefore cannot answer your question".

> > 3) That an attribute is missing, is however not real error, is it?
> Definitely not something we should silently ignore I guess.
Sure... I'd just have used different error codes, with specifying what
each of them means like
1: general error (e.g. everything not yet caught, or wrong command line
options or no xattr support)
2: the attribute is simply not set
3: ...

At least this would make scripting a lot easier in many cases ;)

Cheers,
Chris.