Re: compilation using git needs 10 minutes and fails

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: compilation using git needs 10 minutes and fails
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 09:26:51 +0200

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Well, it compiled from master but 29.0.5 so pre 29.1

What do you see if you do:

  • emacs -Q
  • C-h f loaddefs-generate-batch RET in scratch

This is what I get:

loaddefs-generate-batch is an autoloaded Lisp function in
‘loaddefs-gen.el’.

[Arg list not available until function definition is loaded.]

Generate loaddefs.el files in batch mode.
This scans for ;;;###autoload forms and related things.

The first element on the command line should be the (main)
loaddefs.el output file, and the rest are the directories to
use.

> the problem is that more recent emacs version cause sever problems
> with my old bbdb package I using on a daily base (I wrote a lot of
> useful add-ons that do not work on more recent bbdb version, mostly
> because of renaming functions and changing syntax).

BBDB is showing age, so I moved to EBDB, note that it has a manual as
well ;-)

> Point taken,

Thanks.

> but the compilation needs 10 minutes, 10! That makes testing
> cumbersome, don't you agree?

Yes, and we have to find out why.  If the Emacs you're using to compile
AUCTeX doesn't have the function above, we can stop right away.  So
please make you have an recent version at hand, then we can proceed.

For me, 'time make -j8' returns:

    real    0m25.407s
    user    2m35.401s
    sys     0m17.996s