update-po fails in "make distcheck"

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: update-po fails in "make distcheck"
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 11:46:49 -0400 (EDT)

Hello!

I have recently converted GNU Midnight Commander to Automake. However,
there is one problem that prevents "make distcheck" from working.

"make distcheck" creates a tarball, unpacks it, sets permissions to
read-only, builds the package and tests some of the make targets to ensure
that all the necessary files are present.

One of those commands is "make dist" (note that it's the _second_ "make
dist" that is run by "make distcheck").

"make dist" runs "make distdir" recursively. In the "po" directory
"distdir" depends on "update-po" that tries to update *.po files in the
source directory and fails because the source directory is read-only.

It should be trivial to fix, but I would like to avoid local hacks.

Can anybody tell me who is maintaining gettext now and where I should
discuss this problem?

I don't think that Automake should include any workarounds - gettext is
free software and should be fixed.

I see some unofficial attempts to fix gettext, e.g. in grep-2.4.2. I'd
like to submit my changes to those unofficial sources if they are at least
somehow maintained.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin