Re: PATCH: patsubst support

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: PATCH: patsubst support
Date: 25 Oct 2000 18:41:47 +0200

>>>>> "Alex" == Alex Hornby <address@hidden> writes:

Alex> Akim,

Alex> Okay, here is patsubst patch v2.

Thanks!

Alex> The _PROGRAMS based example in the documentation needs a
Alex> patsubst supporting make (e.g. GNU and Solaris work). This is
Alex> because the program target writes prog_SOURCES to the
Alex> Makefile.in without any variable expansions.

Alex> The real reason I want patsubst (user specified dependency
Alex> files) doesn't impose any new make requirements when used, as
Alex> the patsubst expressions are expanded before being written to
Alex> Makefile.in.

Alex> Until then, the PROGRAM targets are the only obvious route to
Alex> Automake's variable expansion, so thats what I used to give an
Alex> example.

Sorry, I'm confused, and the documentation snippet didn't really
enlighten me :(

I really thought that your patch was purely static, i.e., only from
.am to .in, requiring no special feature from Make.  You seem to say
in the first paragraph above that it's only the case of *this*
example, but I'm now failing to see in which cases you would not
depend upon the underlying Make.

We are hitting a limit (assumptions over Make) which is out of my
competence.  Only Tom and Alexandre may make such decision...