Re: HP 11.0 acc 3.25 help with purify

From: Paul F. Kunz
Subject: Re: HP 11.0 acc 3.25 help with purify
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:53:45 -0800

>       I have modified the make file generated by automake because
> aCC does not support the same dependency generation that CC does.
> What I don't understand is how to add another make target so that I
> can compile for usage with purify.  I also do not know how I can fix
> my automake generated Makefiles to generate dependency information
> correctly with aCC.  I would appreciate any suggestions.

   What I did with the same sort of problem with Sun's CC was kind of
a quick punt. I added to my Makefile.am a good old fashion `depend' target...

---
# For platforms where automake dependency generation doesn't work
depend: $(libhippoplot_la_SOURCES)
        $(top_srcdir)/config/makedepend $(DEFS) $(INCLUDES) $(CPPFLAGS) $?

--
where the `makedepend' script drives gcc to create the dependencies
and modify the automake/autoconf generated Makefiles.  Thus I could

   The `makedepend' script I copied from some Open Source project some
ten years ago, and it got it from BSD development in the late 80's.
Perhaps there is a better way, but this quick hack worked for me.

P.S.

   Interesting that gcc folk figured out that having the compiler help
you generate dependencies was a useful feature over 10 years ago,
while the expensive compilers you buy from vendors haven't yet.