Re: BOUNCE address@hidden: Non-member submission from ["Derek R. Pri

From: Derek R. Price
Subject: Re: BOUNCE address@hidden: Non-member submission from ["Derek R. Price" <address@hidden>]
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:23:40 -0500

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> address@hidden writes:
>  >
>  > Assuming I have a texinfo.tex & a pdftexinfo.tex, both in '.', is there
>  > some command that will allow 'texi2dvi foo.texi' and 'texi2dvi --pdf
>  > foo.texi' to each find the appropriate texinfo.tex?
>  >

> surely the simpler answer is to put pdftexinfo.tex into the
> texmf/pdftex tree, and call it texinfo.tex?

Actually, yeah, and that was my solution, but I was trying to help out the
Automake folks who got me into this mess in the first place.  :)

Basically, the issue is that the GNU coding standards state that the
texinfo.tex you built your docs with should be included with a source
distribution so that an end user is sure to be able to build your docs too.
So Automake attempts to force this issue and copy its texinfo.tex into any
directory where docs are built unless it is overridden.  Unfortunately, if
you are attempting to build both PDFs and other types of output in the same
directory from the same source files, this would disable either the building
of PDFs or it would disable everything else.

Anyway, I was hoping for a solution compatible with the current GNU coding
standard short of putting pdftexinfo.tex & texinfo.tex in different
directories and overriding the TEXINPUTS path dependent on the target or
barbarically renaming the files before calling texi2dvi.  Aesthetically,
I think coding the filename switch inside the *texi source file would be most
pleasing, as the Makefile structure never has to distinguish between targets
except to supply the --pdf switch, and being able to specify a complete path
to a *texinfo.tex on the command line would be second best since it would
avoid the forced creation of extra directories.

Of course, a local structure mirroring the texmf tree structure which allowed
KPATHSEA to do most of the work without changes might be the most elegant.
Is any of this possible?

Derek

--
Derek Price                      CVS Solutions Architect ( http://CVSHome.org )