Re: BSD make and dependencies

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: BSD make and dependencies
Date: 22 Dec 2000 18:39:11 -0700

Derek> Is there any support in Automake for BSD make's style of includes?

Nope but we really ought to add it.

Historically I've been reluctant to do any checking of properties of
make from configure.  The theory is that the user could use any make
after configure is finished, so you can't really check for its
properties reliably.  However we've always checked for SET_MAKE, so I
think maybe it doesn't hurt to much to check for include syntax as
well.

If we can't do that then we have to rethink the new dependency
tracking scheme.  Already sometimes I have second thoughts about the
wisdom of the new approach.

Derek> Apparently BSD wants something like the following:
Derek>     .include "file"
Derek> or
Derek>     .include <file>

Yuck.  Does make have -I options too?