Re: Default clean files

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Default clean files
Date: 23 Dec 2000 13:19:27 -0700

>>>>> "Derek" == Derek R Price <address@hidden> writes:

Derek> Here's a patch that subtracts any generated files listed in
Derek> EXTRA_DIST from the mostlyclean-aminfo targets and adds them to
Derek> the maintainer-clean-aminfo targets.  It seems to me that this
Derek> might be more generalizable (anything in EXTRA_DIST, if it
Derek> exists in any clean target, should be moved into the
Derek> maintainer-clean targeet, but this patch does what I need.

I agree that removing cvs.ps in your case is wrong.  It does make
sense to include cvs.ps in the distribution.

However I'm reluctant to check in this patch because of its ad hoc
nature.  It might be that this is the only case where this
functionality makes sense.  But I'd rather not commit it until I'm
sure.

Another approach to what you want is to do more work in dist-hook:

  dist-hook:
        $(MAKE) cvs.ps
        ... copy cvs.ps into position

This might interact poorly with `make distcheck', but you could add
cleanup code to account for that.

Ugly, I agree.

I submitted a PR for the full functionality.

Tom