config.status and CONFIG_LINKS

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: config.status and CONFIG_LINKS
Date: 02 Feb 2001 06:35:45 +1000

When config.status is invoked to regenerate a Makefile, I think it
might be possible to give an empty CONFIG_LINKS and CONFIG_COMMANDS as
well as the current empty CONFIG_HEADERS, to speed up regeneration
when there's a bunch of links.

        * automake.in (handle_configure): Call config.status with empty
        CONFIG_LINKS and CONFIG_COMMANDS when regenerating a file.

I guess the same effect would be obtained from something like the
following, unless this is only a new autoconf feature.

        cd $(top_srcdir) && ./config.status $(subdir)/Makefile