Re: amtraces

From: Derek R. Price
Subject: Re: amtraces
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 14:33:59 -0500

address@hidden wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 01:17:13PM -0500, Derek R. Price wrote:
> > Akim Demaille wrote:
> >
> > > "Derek R. Price" <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > Patch against the current CVS Automake attached.  Please excuse all the
> > "print STDERR"s and my initials littered in comments around the things I was
> > still working on.
>
> I'm really impressed!  Your work is impressive, congratulations!  I'm

Thanks.  :)  I tried to write a macro for CVS which made use of AC_FOREACH and
Automake couldn't handle it anymore.  I had to do _something_.

> that I certainly would like to toy with your implementation, I'd vote
> for an inclusion in Automake.  Do you have your papers?  :)

No, actually.  I probably should too, seeing as I've been hacking on CVS for a
couple of years now.  :)  Can someone send them to me?  I'd actually be
interested in learning the maintainer side of the process too since I'm probably
supposed to be doing some of this for CVS, if anyone could send me a link?

> I'd make one simple comment: I would not trust `:' as a separator, I'd
> play with more unlikely separators.  See the Autoconf documentation,

I figured, but : was already being used and seems to work well enough in most
cases.  If you look at my code, it should be easy to change the default.  You
can
even change the FORMAT string on a per-macro basis by tweaking the
%traced_macro_format hash.  I've only had to do that for AC_CONFIG_FILES so far,
since that's the only macro my test base was passing arguments to in dest:source
format, but I imagine it would be necessary for AC_CONFIG_HEADER and any other
macro that takes filename arguments in that format.  Maybe tweaking the default
to something like you suggest would be easiest:

> The long SEPARATORs can be used to ease parsing of complex structures:
>
>      $ autoconf -t 'AM_MISSING_PROG:${|:::::|}*'
>      ACLOCAL|:::::|aclocal|:::::|$missing_dir
>      AUTOCONF|:::::|autoconf|:::::|$missing_dir
>      AUTOMAKE|:::::|automake|:::::|$missing_dir
>      More traces deleted

On a side note, I think we could move to the multi-line inputs if we needed to
with only a little extra work, but right now my code still counts on single line
inputs.

> > Now I think the structure of the comp-vars.am will need to be changed to
> > define some var other than DEFS to @DEFAULT_INCLUDES@ and then that var
> > should be included as part of the COMPILE makefile variable.
>
> I didn't look into the details, but can't we have some variable initialized
> in the top of configure.in which trigger this default behavior?

If I understood what you are suggesting, I don't think so, because the
information is stored in several of the template files.  Well, you could, but
I don't think switching between template files is the right idea here.  Anyhow,
as I understand things, the change I am suggesting shouldn't break backwards
compatibility.  I just wanted to see if an Automake guru could confirm that I
was
on the right track.

Derek

--