Re: Small automake patch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Small automake patch
Date: 03 Feb 2001 20:57:20 -0700

>>>>> "Ville" == Ville Laurikari <address@hidden> writes:

Ville> I sometimes need to work with AIX (poor me) and noticed that
Ville> the latest version of automake has a portable dependency
Ville> tracking mechanism.  It does not work with AIX cc though, and I
Ville> though fixing it myself would be the fastest way to get it
Ville> working.  The diff is rather small, so I'm including all of it
Ville> in the end of this mail.

Thanks, I'm checking this in.  Actually I'm checking in the updated
version of the patch.

I have a couple questions however.

First, does the AIX compiler really generate dependencies as a side
effect of compilation?  I assume it must, from your patch.  I'm just
suprised (that AIX would have anything so clueful :-).

Second, your patch doesn't generate dummy `.h' entries.  Does the AIX
compiler do this automatically (I'd be really suprised!).  If not,
tell me and I'll update the patch to account for this.

Tom