Re: AM_INCLUDE is a bad name.

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: AM_INCLUDE is a bad name.
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 12:35:03 -0500 (EST)

> Tom, you should also know you can have a special exception, and tell
> autoconf AM_INCLUDE is OK.  But I agree with Pavel it looks way too
> much like a macro name, in itself it is confusing.

As far as I know, it cannot be done without breaking compatibility with
Autoconf 2.13.

Too bad Autoconf doesn't provide (offically at least) any means for
writing macros conditionally for particular versions of Autoconf. This
feature may be useful for Automake and other tools working together with
Autoconf, as well as for any packages installing m4 files (gettext, GTK+,
gnome-libs).

I mean something like

AC_VERSION_CASE(
[<=2.13], [test "$FOO" = yes && tmp=foo; AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS([$tmp])],
[default], [test "$FOO" = yes && AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS([foo])])

We may do our best, but we cannot guarantee 100% backward compatibility.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin