Re: AM_INCLUDE is a bad name.

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: AM_INCLUDE is a bad name.
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 12:18:37 -0500 (EST)

Hello, Akim!

> Under this condition, I will definitely quit the group.  I'm OK with
> providing reasonable backward compatibility, but I'm tired (to remain
> somewhat polite) of wasting my time in details of the past.

You are missing the point completely. Nobody is asking _you_ to care about
backward compatibility. I know, it's really hard if you want to make
radical changes.

The point is that we should allow other people (be it maintainers of
Libtool or GTK+ or NCurses) to provide macros compatible with more that
one version of Autoconf if:

1) They are under pressure to do it.
2) They manage to do it correctly (which may be impossible, but _we_
shouldn't care too much).

The alternatives are:
1) ifdef - may be obsoleted in the future by m4_ifdef
2) Providing different macro files for different versions of autoconf -
really ugly.
3) Switching everybody to the next version of Autoconf. This is a major
headache for the projects as big as GNOME.

> I am *not* interested in helping obsolescent users, I'm interested in

It is not about you helping obsolescent users. It is about allowing other
people help them.

I don't want to force any changes against your will. If you don't change
you mind I don't want to push this idea. "ifdef" works for me.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin